Welcome to my blog all about my adventures in health, fitness, and running!
I only just recently took up running in July of 2015, after having gallbladder surgery and wanting to get into better shape and feel healthier. I never imagined how quickly I would take to running after a bit of practice, or how incredibly therapeutic it has been for me both physically and mentally. For the first time in my life I am looking forward to challenging myself as an athlete to see what I am capable of achieving!
Highlights of my progress are as follows:
- April 22, 2015 – Attended a Learn to Run group (3k | 4:1s)
- May 21, 2015 – Gallbladder surgery
- June 7, 2015 – Walked the Blackburn Hamlet Fun Run 5k (50min)
- June 12, 2015 – First attempt at running @ 11:58min/km
- July 13, 2015 – 4.38km in 38.12 (8:43)
- July 29, 2015 – 5.04km in 39:59 (7:55)
- August 23, 2015 – Commonwealth Run 5k (36:42 | 7:20)
- August 30, 2015 – Fastest 1k, 6:33; Fastest mile, 10:50
- September 22, 2015 – 5k in 36:20 (7:15)
- October 17, 2015 – Longest run of 9.22km
- November 7, 2015 – 5k in 34:44 (6:57)
- May 8, 2016 – Run for Women 10k (1:09:56 | 6:56)
- June 1, 2016 – Fastest 1k, 5:28; Fastest mile, 8:53
- September 18, 2016 – Army Run 5k (31:51 | 6:22)
- October 15, 2016 – 9 Run Run 10k (1:08:32 | 6:51)
- November 2, 2016 – Longest run of 21.21km
- November 2, 2016 – Half marathon in 2:58:02 (8:26)
So far in 16 months I have managed to work my way from couch to half-marathon distance, and have made great improvements in my 5k and 10k running times already! I still can’t believe this is me we’re talking about! 🙂
Aside from running, I have also been taking horseback riding lessons on and off in the English discipline of Dressage. For my 30th birthday my husband took our family to Hawaii and on my birthday I got to do a trail ride along the beach at North Shore. It was the first time I had been on a horse in ages and I absolutely loved the feeling. This inspired me to sign up for horseback riding lessons as soon as we returned home!
I definitely have my children to thank for helping bring me out of my shell – finally now, in my 30’s! They have motivated me to be a better person, and to go out and try new things. I am enjoying life more than ever before.!
I hope you guys will enjoy reading this blog as I continue to challenge myself, try new things, and work towards becoming a happier, healthier me!